The consumer watchdog Citizens Utility Board, or CUB, is fighting to get a comprehensive, equitable energy bill passed in Illinois. A strong, pro-consumer energy bill would:
- Launch a responsible plan to fight climate change and work toward 100 percent clean energy by 2045. (This is an urgent need for our planet and our bottom lines. A CUB study found that unchecked climate change could lead to $10.9 billion in higher electric bills over the next 30 years.)
- Support low-cost clean energy and give a boost to the solar energy market. Solar has boomed in Illinois—making the state a national leader—but has sputtered after incentives from an earlier law, the Future Energy Jobs Act, ran out. Supporting clean energy creates jobs for communities that need it the most—including those abandoned by the coal industry.
- Replace the unfair electric formula rate-setting system with one that can provide more oversight.
- Allow state regulators to open an investigation into how to fairly compensate ComEd customers for the utility’s corruption scandal. (CUB is fighting in federal court for a refund, but we need to fight this battle on multiple fronts.)
- Create an independent ethics monitor at the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) to rein in utilities. Also, require utilities to have an ethics compliance officer at their headquarters.
- Pave the way for cleaner, more affordable electric transportation options.
- Expand energy efficiency programs that have already helped lower energy bills by billions of dollars.
Please, share this on your social media channels and send a message to your legislators to push a strong energy bill over the finish line this summer.
For a more detailed update on developments in Springfield, please read our WatchBlog article and watch our Facebook Live.