Gas Fact Sheets
Sign up for Email Alerts
Gas Bill Basics
- CUB’s Gas & Electric Guide: A handbook for residential gas and electric customers in Illinois
- Making Sense of Your Gas Bill
- Legislative Fact Sheet: Heating Affordability and Utility Accountability Act
- Reading Your Meter
- Utility Check List for Renters
- Understanding Your Budget-Billing Plan
- Maintenance Plans
- Understanding the Illinois Commerce Commission
Choosing Another Supplier
- Gas Competition—A Guide for Nicor Gas Customers
- Gas Competition—A Guide for Peoples Gas and North Shore Gas Customers
- CUB’s free Virtual Utility Bill Consultation (This service is also available in Spanish.)
- CUB’s Guide to Going Green
- Order our free Guide to Home Savings and watch our Home Energy Savings Webinar
- Nicor Gas Rebates
- Peoples Gas Rebates
- North Shore Gas Rebates
- Ameren Illinois Programs
- Heat Pumps
- Smart Thermostats
- Year-Round Energy Savings Tips
Need Help Paying Your Bills?
- Energy Assistance: Questions and Answers. Qualifying low-income households in Illinois can get help paying their energy costs.
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Administered by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, LIHEAP is designed to help eligible low-income households pay for winter energy service.
- Peoples Gas Share the Warmth. Administered by the Community and Economic Development Association (CEDA), Share the Warmth provides heating grants to limited and fixed-income households. Eligible customers who make a payment toward their bills receive matching grants of up to $200.
- North Shore Gas Share the Warmth. Administered by the Community Action Partnership of Lake County, Share the Warmth provides heating grants of up to $200 to limited and fixed-income households. Eligible customers usually have to make a payment to receive a matching grant.
- Nicor Gas Sharing Program. Qualified residential customers can receive a one-time annual Sharing Grant of $350 or $400, with no requirement to pay back. The program is administered through the Salvation Army.
- Warm Neighbors Cool Friends. This Energy Assistance Foundation program provides year-round energy bill payment assistance and home weatherization to make harsh winters and hot summers bearable for families in need. Eligible households can receive up to $700 a year to help pay for energy costs ($350 during the heating season and $350 during the cooling season.)
- Ameren Payment Assistance. Ameren Illinois offers several forms of financial assistance, including short-term, one-time payment extensions and fixed monthly payment agreements to settle past balances.