For smart thermostats, ComEd customers can enjoy a rebate of $75, or for Ameren customers, a rebate of $100.
What are smart thermostats?
Smart thermostats are devices connected to Wi-Fi that allow you to remotely modify your temperature settings from your smartphone, tablet or home computer. They’re designed to give consumers a more convenient way to control their energy usage and utility costs, and maintain comfort. The devices can help households save roughly 20 percent on their heating and cooling costs.
How do smart thermostats work?
Smart thermostats use sensors that continuously monitor temperature, humidity, and other variables throughout your house. Some also come with technology that “learns” a user’s behavior over time to optimize comfort and generate savings automatically. For example, a thermostat can learn when you are typically in and out of the house, allowing it to build a heating/cooling schedule that matches your needs. Also, it can accurately gauge when your air conditioner should be turned off to save energy without changing the temperature noticeably.
How much would a smart thermostat cost?
The retail costs of smart thermostats range from about $100-$250. However, certain qualifying customers are now eligible to receive up to $100 in rebates.
Do I qualify for a rebate?
Each utility has its own application process, so you should see the links on this page for details, but these are the general requirements. You must:
- Be a ComEd or Ameren customer;
- Have Wi-Fi;
- Have central air and a furnace OR electric resistance heat OR a heat pump;
- Purchase, install and register a new Energy Star certified smart thermostat before December 31, 2018.
- Find eligible smart thermostat models at ComEdMarketplace.com or AmerenIllinoisSavings.com.
How do I get my new thermostat installed?
There are a few ways:
- Install it yourself: You can buy, install and register a qualifying smart thermostat on your own. (You can find the devices at big-box hardware stores or online.)
- Have a contractor install it: You can hire a professional contractor to install a qualifying smart thermostat.
Note: ComEd customers can receive certain models of smart thermostats at the discounted price of $75 or $150, and get them installed for free, by participating in a home energy assessment. For more information about this opportunity, visit ComEd.com/HomeSavings.