Position Title: Attorney
Primary Report: General Counsel
The Citizens Utility Board (CUB), Illinois’ premier utility consumer advocacy group, is seeking an attorney to litigate on behalf of Illinois consumers in regulatory and administrative matters before the Illinois Commerce Commission, as well as state and federal agencies and courts. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a respected group advocating for an affordable, clean and just future.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience;
- Health and dental insurance;
- Employer-paid life insurance and employee assistance program;
- 401K with company match;
- Generous paid time off;
- Option to work remotely;
- Extra week of vacation for all staff members, Dec. 24 through Jan. 1;
- Hands-on experience at a respected, hardworking nonprofit once praised by The St. Louis Post-Dispatch as the “gold standard” of consumer groups nationwide.
- Litigate on behalf of Illinois consumers in regulatory and administrative matters
before the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC), as well as state and federal
agencies and courts:
- Assist in preparation of oral and written testimony of expert witnesses;
- Preparation and conduct of discovery;
- Drafting and filing of petitions, complaints, comments, discovery, motions,
briefs, correspondence etc.;
- Preparation and conduct of regulatory hearings, including defense and cross-examination of expert witnesses;
- Presentation of oral argument;
- Filing and service of pleadings and discovery; and
- Management of litigation files, including:
- Organization and maintenance of legal case files;
- Discovery responses and requests;
- Proactive management of case deadlines;
- Monitoring Commission Calendar and filings of new dockets; and
- Providing updates on case status upon request.
- Monitor progress of work being done by expert witnesses and outside counsel, including review of bills and contracts.
- Preparation, modification and review of standard agreements, including consulting agreements, service agreements, confidentiality/protective agreements/orders and grant agreements for the review, approval, and use by legal staff.
- Conduct legal and policy research as needed and provide written analysis of results, including review of legal implications of legislative and regulatory policy initiatives, assistance in developing policy positions and support on special policy initiatives.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois;
- Proven commitment to public interest work;
- Great attention to detail;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to self-start and work with minimal supervision;
- Effective time management and organizational skills;
- Comfort learning complex technical concepts and communicating them to a lay
- Experience with public utilities and energy law and policy preferred.
Email letter of interest and resume to:
Eric DeBellis, General Counsel
No phone calls please