Affordable Connectivity Program
The Affordable Connectivity Program is a new benefit program through the Federal Communications Commission that helps ensure households can afford the broadband they need for work, school, healthcare and more.
What benefits does the program offer?
The benefit provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
The Affordable Connectivity Program is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
How do I qualify for the program?
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines;
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
- Participates in Tribal specific programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal TANF, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations;
- Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020, 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income program.
Do all internet providers offer the discount?
Not all broadband providers are participating in the Affordable Connectivity Program. Find broadband service providers offering the benefit in your state or territory by following this link. Service providers can find more information about how to participate here.
How can I apply?
Eligible households must apply for the program AND contact a participating provider to select a service plan.
- Go to ACPBenefit.org to submit an application or print out a mail-in application.
- Contact your preferred participating provider to select a plan and have the discount applied to your bill. Note: Some providers may have an alternative application that they will ask you to complete.
Why is the FCC offering assistance?
The COVID-19 pandemic has hastened our adoption of a digital society. Schooling, jobs, doctors’ visits, family
gatherings, utility bill consultations, therapy: all these events can and have been held remotely the past years thanks to a combination of internet and technology. But as millions were in sudden need of reliable, affordable internet service to access these resources from home, the pandemic illuminated a growing digital divide.
Many rural and low-income communities lack reliable, affordable internet access or cannot afford it. The Affordable Connectivity Program was created to help close the gap and provide internet to those who may not be able to afford it.