Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP)

If you meet certain low-income requirements, you may be eligible for free appliances and services to make your home more energy efficient and lower your utility bills through the Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP).

Energy conservation actions that can be funded through this program include:

  • Air sealing
  • Attic and wall insulation
  • HVAC repair and replacement
  • Water heater repair or replacement
  • Electric base load reduction (lighting and refrigerator replacement)
  • Ventilation and moisture control measures (and other health and safety measures)

A maximum of $15,000 can be spent on each eligible client’s home for energy-related weatherization and repair work, and a maximum of $3,500 for health and safety related measures.

Size of HouseholdAnnual Income

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility is determined by family size and household income in accordance with federal guidelines.

Weatherization services are free to households meet the income eligibility guidelines in the chart and are provided by local community action agencies and their local contractors throughout the state.

Multi-Family Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP)

The Multi-Family Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP) is for building owners who provide housing to income-eligible residents.

Weatherization services, spending limits, and eligibility requirements are generally the same as those listed above. To receive services, at least two-thirds (66%) of the building’s units must be occupied by income-eligible tenants. However, in certain circumstances, a building may qualify for weatherization with half (50%) of the units occupied by qualifying tenants. For complete details, contact the Community Action Agency that serves the county in which the property is located.

To Apply

Call 1-877-411-WARM (9276) to find the agency that serves your area. You will be asked to submit some or all of the following information:

– Current utility bills
– Proof of ownership
– Proof of rental agreement and consent from property owner
– Proof of income for household members
– Verification of income for income-eligible tenants
– Proof of social security number or qualified alien status for members of the household and/or tenants of the property

For complete details, visit this website.