By: Kate Shonk
CUB Sustainable Communities Liason
At almost every outreach event, CUB staff fields questions on electrification. Now more than ever, it’s clear consumers are curious about alternatives to gas, and now more than ever there are financial incentives to help them make that switch.
Because electric supply can come from renewable energy sources, electrifying your home can lead to lower emissions and more affordable utility bills. (Read CUB’s blog on “What is Electrification?”)
Transitioning away from gas in your own home can seem daunting, but it can start by replacing one outdated, broken or inefficient gas-powered appliance. And on top of the environmental benefits of electrification, there are new financial incentives.
We compiled a list of rebates to help you begin the electrification process, but be sure to check out CUB’s Statewide Better Heat Guide for more information on cheaper and cleaner ways to fuel your home.
For those in ComEd territory, check out these rebates:
- Replace your gas-powered clothes dryer with an electric dryer to qualify for a $40 rebate.
- Buy a heat pump-powered clothes dryer to qualify for a $200 rebate.
- Purchase an induction cooktop for a $100 rebate.
- Receive a discount of up to $2,000 on qualifying air source heat pumps, or a $100 discount on air source heat pump tune-ups.
- Receive a discount of up to a $9,000 on a geothermal (ground source) heat pump system, or a $1,275-$1,800 discount on a geothermal heat pump indoor unit replacement.
- Receive a discount of up to $1,350 on a mini-split heat pump, a heating and cooling source that does not require ductwork.
To get started on the rebate or discount process in ComEd territory:
- Review the rebate application steps, purchase the appliance, and complete the application online or by email to [email protected]. You can also download and fill out the application.
- Instant coupons are also available at certain retailers. Download an instant in-store coupon and present it at checkout.
- For any questions, call 1-855-433-2700.
For those in Ameren territory, check out these rebates:
- Buy an energy-efficient heat pump water heater and receive a $300 rebate.
- Replace your gas-powered clothes dryer with an electric dryer to receive a $50 rebate.
- Contact an Ameren Instant Incentives Program Ally Contractor to receive discounts on ducted air source heat pumps, ductless mini-split heat pumps and heat pump water heaters. Amounts may vary.
To get started on the rebate or discount process in Ameren territory:
- View qualifying appliance models for electric dryers.
- Get an instant coupon to buy a heat pump water heater at qualifying retailers, or apply for an online rebate.
- For ducted air source heat pumps and ductless mini-split heat pumps, view the instant incentives fact sheet.
For any questions, call 1-866-828-6918.
About the author: Kate Shonk started at CUB in 2022. She serves as the main contact for grassroots outreach events and works to advocate for Illinois consumers. Kate graduated from the University of Michigan in 2020 with degrees in English and Political Science. Her favorite part about working for CUB is combining her passions for community organizing and environmental policy. In her free time, she enjoys crocheting, writing, and staying active around the city.