CUB’s legal team gets the headlines with the big victories, but our consumer advocacy and outreach teams offer vital help to individual consumers on a daily basis.
The Chicago Tribune’s Help Squad profiled a recent CUB utility-bill clinic. We hold hundreds of events like this each year!
Here’s what you and CUB have done over the past six months:
Our Achievements, June 2017:
- CUB’s outreach team has shown consumers how to save nearly $76,180 at about 159 events.
- Our consumer advocacy team has saved utility customers $64,559 by securing refunds and eliminating erroneous charges.
- Our legal team just helped secure a $17.5 million ComEd rate cut—but it’s juggling billions of dollars in rate-hike cases.
Our Battles, June 2017:
- Challenging Nicor Gas’ $208.5 million rate-hike request.
- Fighting ComEd’s $96 million rate hike. (We’ve already helped cut ComEd rates by $17.5 million this year.)
- Battling mismanagement in the Peoples Gas pipe-replacement program. (Gas bills could increase by more than $8 billion!)
- Analyzing Ameren’s proposed $16.3 million electric rate cut—in hopes of winning a bigger decrease.
CUB’s consumer advocacy work even made the national news recently. See the CBS Evening News story.