By Julie Soderna, CUB General Counsel
Just wanted to give you an update. The CUB staff and I are swamped with these battles in 2018:
- Fighting plans pushed by giant power generators to change electricity pricing rules in Washington and potentially raise ComEd bills by hundreds of millions of dollars. (NEW)
- Working for pro-Net Neutrality legislation in Springfield (HB 4819). (NEW)
- Fighting Ameren’s $46 million gas rate hike, and now its $71.75 million electric hike. (NEW)
- Fighting legislation that could raise water rates from Illinois American Water and Aqua Illinois (HB 4508).
- Working for legislation that would prevent rip-offs from unregulated electric and gas suppliers (HB 5101).
- Challenging Nicor’s $137 million rate hike.
- Challenging Illinois American Water’s $35 million rate hike.
- Trying to reform a mismanaged Peoples Gas program, funded by customers, because its costs could balloon to $11 billion.
It’s a lot of work, but it’s all worth it when we have you on our side. I’m happy to report that a former CUB Board member is matching donations in April, up to a total of $1,000—so your generosity can be doubled. Thank you for your support.