(800) 669-5556

Heating bills will be expensive this winter. If you need assistance, call these numbers.

Natural gas prices are double the price from 2020 and electric rates just went up, causing growing concern as cold weather draws near. Be prudent with your electric and gas usage this winter, and practice energy efficiency when possible. If you’re having a hard time paying your bills or you’ve been shut off, these are the calls you should make:

1) Call Your Utility

The utility company issues your bill and is the only entity with access to your account. As such, your first call—no matter the issue—should always be to your utility. If you are having difficulty paying your bills, contact your utility, express financial hardship and ask about assistance, including the utility’s assistance programs and payment plan options.

Please review the financial resources section of CUB’s website to learn more about utility assistance programs.

If you’ve already been shut off, contact your utility and see what you can do to get your service back on. One of the reasons CUB stresses doing everything you can to keep your service on is because once you get shut off, the company has much more leverage to dictate what you have to do to get restored, as you are no longer a customer of the utility.

Utility contact information:

  • Ameren Illinois – 1-800-755-5000
  • Aqua Illinois – 1-877-987-2782
  • ComEd – 1-800-334-7661
  • Consumers Gas – 1-800-322-4158
  • Illinois American – 1-800-422-2782
  • Illinois Gas – 1-618-395-8588
  • Liberty Utilities – 1-855-872-3242
  • MidAmerican – 1-888-427-5632
  • Mount Caramel – 1-618-262-5151
  • Nicor Gas – 1-888-642-6748
  • North Shore Gas – 1-866-556-6004
  • Peoples Gas – 1-866-556-6001
  • Utilities Inc. – 1-800-831-2359

2) Call LIHEAP

If you are in need of financial assistance to help pay your gas and electric bills, start with the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), 1-877-411-9276. Administered by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, LIHEAP is designed to help eligible low-income households pay for winter energy service. Read CUB’s fact sheet on the program for eligibility and application information.

3) Call CUB

CUB does NOT provide financial assistance or oversee any assistance programs, however, if you have questions regarding your rights, check out CUB’s Gas and Electric GuideYou may also reach out to us at 1-800-669-5556, or file an inquiry or complaint using CUB’s online form.