We’re asking you to join the fight against misleading marketing today.
House Bill 4281 would prohibit a “non-utility individual, business, or entity” from using “a public utility name or logo, in whole or in part, in any manner to market, solicit, sell or bill for a home (i) insurance, (ii) maintenance, or (iii) warranty product.”
CUB has heard from plenty of customers who unknowingly paid for an expensive home maintenance plan because they thought it was a required line item from the utility company. For years, CUB has been fighting to stop the practice—and we have our best bet to win right now.
Here’s why this matter is urgent: HB 4281 is scheduled for a hearing before the Illinois Senate’s Commerce Committee at 8:30 Thursday morning, March 24! Please fill out a witness slip in favor of HB 4281. This is an easy way to show your support: Click here to begin.
- There could be multiple bills listed. Look for HB 4281, and click on the “Create Witness Slip” icon (the tiny picture of the pencil on paper) all the way to the right.
- Under Section I: Identification, fill in your information. You are filing as an individual, so put your home address. You can put NA under “Firm/Business or Agency” and “Title,” if you want.
- Under Section II: Representation, enter “self.”
- Under Section III: Position, click “Proponent.” (Very important!)
- Under Section IV: Testimony, click “Record of Appearance Only.”
- Click “I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement”
- Click “Create (Slip)” in the bottom-right corner.