CUB warns consumers that enrolling with an alternative supplier could lead to paying higher electric and gas bills. In fact, losses at the hands of electric suppliers reached a record high of $227.6 million over the past year, according to the 2018 annual report of the Illinois Commerce Commission’s Office of Retail Market Development.
Add up the losses over the last three years, and the total climbs past half-a-billion dollars: $551.4 million.
Ameren’s alternative suppliers lost a total of $145.8 million over the last three years:
- June 2015-May 2016: $10.6 million
- June 2016-May 2017: $45.9 million
- June 2017-May 2018: $89.3 million
ComEd’s alternative suppliers alone lost a whopping $405.6 million:
- June 2015-May 2016: $115.2 million
- June 2016-May 2017: $152.1 million
- June 2017-May 2018: $138.2 million
You can read the ICC’s full report here.